Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pain IS Beautiful

Having a facial can be one of the most painful things a girl has to experience in order to maintain a nice, smooth skin and stay pretty. I just had one recently and to tell you frankly, though this was not the first time I had a facial, the pain was excruciatingly nauseating. Ugh. I can't believe I had that for three times already.

As I lay there on the bed while my face was being pricked mercilessly, I thought to myself, "Why on earth do I allow myself to experience this???" Haha! Tears kept coming out from my nasolacrimal sacs uncontrollably as I deal with the pain of the whole process. There and then I kept thinking that pain was indeed part of becoming beautiful, concretely and abstractly speaking.

The pricking part was very painful. Gaaaah! I can feel it deep through my bones! But it's purpose was to get rid of the impurities that can't be removed by simply washing the face with those cleansers sold commercially. I let myself experience the pain because I wanted to become aesthetically pure or pleasing. I know that after this uncomfortable situation, my face would be smoother and cleaner.

Like having a facial, getting rid of bad habits and negative stuff inside of us can be very painful and the process is more than unpleasing. But pain is only transient, it would pass away and what would really matter is the result and what becomes of a person after undergoing such moments. Indeed, there is a reason to fret when we are in pain, but it doesn't mean that we have to end there. We just have to be reminded that we need only to be still and strong until finally when the pain is all over, we see the beauty of the whole process.

I believe that beauty can spring forth from almost every kind of painful experience. There would be some who would disagree, but as they say "beauty lies from the eye of the beholder". An abstract painting, for example, can look and mean a dozen different things, depending on the angle from which it is viewed. In the same way, the pain of loss can also become beautiful when after losing something or even someone, we become stronger and more appreciative of this life, if only we view it at that way.


"We need pain to remind us of our vulnerability and make us constantly alert and aware of the beauty of the world around us, but we also need its end because the resolution is part of the aesthetic experience."
- Rachel Usala


P.S. As for the facial, I'm not sure if I'd ever want one again. But who knows? Still, there is beauty from pain. *wink*

4 comments:

  1. I hafta agree on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, I have to tap on this. Most of my learnings came from painful experiences and God used them for me to scrape me out of the prideful ME and depend on Him all the more.

    I couldn't agree more with facial cleaning & pricking! I already had 30++ experience (and so I lost count) from it during my college years since I was a pimple-faced kid! haha! Despite of familiarity from it, I always had tears running on my cheeks almost every after the procedure. Haha. Good thing, teen years are over for me, it means no more staphylococcus infection in my face. Hahaha!

    Hi blogger-mate! love u :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. DITTO girls!!! hahaha! ang sakit ng facial. the most painful ive ever experienced since dysmenorrhea. hahahaha! I miss you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellaine! It's Kaye; I happened to drop by and read some of your blogs. I concur; facial is extremely painful. Whoever thought of pain = beauty must have lost their mind!

    :)
    www.theultimatepensieve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete