Monday, October 11, 2010

Battling the Muffin Tops

It's been about 4 days since I've started committing to an exercise routine and a new diet. I've been sort of running and doing abdominal crunches every morning that I can. I'm a person who loves eating, but then I've kinda resolved to lessen my appetite for carbs especially rice. Hmm. The reason for such a seemingly healthy outbreak in my lifestyle? Well, first it's definitely NOT because I'm fat. In fact, most people would regard me as slim. It's just that I became so comfortable being slim that I kinda forgot that I'm getting older and that my metabolism's not as fast as when I was younger. Eating too much was not a problem for me THEN. Hehe.

And so, after finding out that I'm starting to have those unsightly muffin tops or love handles or whatever you might want to call them, I panicked! Hahaha! I started noticing them more when I started medical school but I didn't really pay attention to them because I felt "thin". I can get very conceited and self-reassuring, I know. But sooner or later I finally came to face the horror of the truth that I'm carrying. (disgusting)

I was shopping with my 2 friends last week. Normally any shirt or blouse would fit me perfectly when I try it on. But nuh-uh, not this time. To my shock and dismay, I saw small mounds of fat bulging from my lower abdominal region when I tried a body-hugging blouse on and it was nearly heartbreaking. (gaaah!) From that day on, I knew what I had to do and that I had to do it.

So here I am, suddenly becoming a health and wellness buff. Every morning, I try to discipline myself and really commit to this new consciousness that I'm trying on. Then I realized that it's not only because I want to look good and all. Of course, that's all part of it but then there's a lot more to the package than looking good. It's also about "feeling" good about myself, about becoming aware of my body, about being healthy and fit. And I feel very happy about what I'm doing. I want this to become a personal habit and not merely a fleeting gusto. I don't wanna wait 'til I'm old and my knees are weak and I get tired too easily. As the old dictum goes, "Don't wait for tomorrow, if you can do it NOW."

Hopefully, I'll be filling this blog with updates about my battle with the muffin tops. Haha! Stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment